Built in the 1860s, the Vanderbilt House in Philmont is named for its builders, the Vanderbilt family, who also owned the railroad that ran across the street. The Vanderbilt served as a retreat for its employees as well as those who traveled by rail to the Hudson Valley. The hotel was purchased by the Mansfield family in 1890, and for the past three generations, the Mansfields have owned the Vanderbilt and maintained it a landmark and institution in Columbia County.
A quick peek at the Yelp reviews reveals mostly favorable reviews of the Vanderbilt, and the hotel is still open and operating. The new owners of this establishment will get a renovated 6000 square foot inn with dining room seating 72, bar and lounge seating 70, lake view patio seating 45, and eight ensuite guest rooms. The property come equipped with furnishings, linen, cookware, restaurant kitchen, and guest room contents. While passenger trains no longer stop in Philmont village, the city of Hudson is located about 15 minutes to the west of the hotel. High Falls Conservation Area – with walking trails and an impressively huge 150 foot water fall – is a half-mile away from the Vanderbilt.
Get the full skinny on the Vanderbilt House Hotel & Restaurant here.
161 Main Street, Philmont (Gary DiMauro)
Hudson Business Coalition, Inc.