Five Things You Didn’t Know About Slide Mountain (Plus a video tour of the hike!)Krysti Sabins | November 25, 2016
- In case you didn’t know, Slide Mountain is the tallest peak in the Catskills!
- The trail is covered in quartz pebbles, Slide Mountain is the only place in the Catskills with this feature.
- One of the first trails up Slide Mountain was made in 1892! You can walk up this trail today, as it was originally used to get to the observation towers that used to be on the peak.
- While Slide Mountain is the tallest peak, its exact elevation has never been officially determined by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey
- Thanks John Burroughs! This naturalist wrote about his climbs up Slide,the mountain and helped get the Catskills added to New York’s Forest Preserve.
Is your interest…piqued? Watch the video below and see Krysti Sabin’s hike up to the top of the tallest mountain in the Catskills.
Read On, Reader...
Jane Anderson | October 26, 2022 | Comment
A Six-Bedroom New Paltz Contemporary with Stunning Mountain Views, $675K
Jane Anderson | October 7, 2022 | Comment
A Three-Bedroom Fixer-Upper in Kingston for $99.8K